Wednesday, August 22, 2012

22 de agosto

Same morning routine. Grammar with Mario was fun. He's a great professor and makes class fun and interactive. I also look forward to conversation class. Today we talked about accents, newspapers that we had read for homework, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, prom, and the changes in men's and women's voices as they get older...We talk about random topics but that makes it fun.

Our Introduction to Costa Rica class today was mostly...introduction. We talked about the syllabus, the trips we will be taking, participation and essay requirements, etc. I am really looking forward to all the places we will be going and being able to write about topics of my choice.

Classes ended at 12:30 today. Most of the group went into San Pedro for lunch. We ate at a place that looks like a mall food court but is located by the UCR campus. After lunch we wandered through the UCR campus and stumbled upon an insect museum. We bought discount tickets (we are visiting students there) which were 700 colones or about $1.50. The collection of bugs they had there was amazing. I am glad they were not alive because I saw a lot of spiders, cockroaches, and other flying insects that I do not want to ever come across. Although when I am on my rural stay in a few weeks I will probably see some. There were some beautiful butterflies though.
On our way back to ACM we bought some pastries. I got one that was sort of like a croissant with caramel inside and on top (I forgot the name of it but I will find out). It was fantastic.

Luckily I had my umbrella with me because it rained a lot today. It only rains in the afternoon though.

I did some homework at ACM and walked home. My host dad Carlos gave me a book of word searches to look at and learn some new vocabulary. The funny thing was that my parents had not even heard of some of the words. But I enjoyed learning some new words and watching them try to explain some of them. Sometimes Marta accused Carlos of making up words/definitions.

After dinner, guess what I watched? Combate. My favorite activity today was when the contestants from each team had to go in the pool and swim under and over inner tubes like dolphins. Marta and I also watched Hawaii Five-O dubbed over in Spanish. Shower. Bedtime.

Breakfast: Strawberries and papaya, coffee with milk and sugar, fried egg (omelet-like), toast with guava jelly
Lunch: Cheese and chicken quesadilla with salsa, mora refresco (mulberry/blackberry juice drink)
Dinner: Rice with small pieces of meat in it, refried beans, tortilla, peach refresco (made like Kool-Aid)

 Palabras Nuevas (lots today so I will just choose some)
zancos - stilts
avena - oat
confites - pieces of candy
pica - bite (insect)
mosco - gnat
emisora - radio station/channel
canal - tv station/channel
lesco - sign language
La Bolsa - Costa Rican version of Wall Street

1 comment:

  1. Hey Meghan - your Mom emailed me your blogsite - fun to follow! I figured the whole thing would be in Spanish and you'd make us all learn it to follow along. So is lesco different in Spanish?:) And are you actually caminando en zancos or just learning the words? Have fun!

    Pete (Rothering)

    ReplyDelete