Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day #1

It has been a long day - getting up at 4:45 am to catch a 7:00 flight to Charlotte, NC and then another plane to San Jose, Costa Rica. Luckily, I was not as nervous on the plane as I expected to be. Carly was with me on both flights and we met Emily F in Charlotte. After going through customs and getting my luggage from the baggage claim, I met my host mom Marta. She was waiting for me with a sign with my name on it, although I recognized her right away since we are already Facebook friends. Marta drove to the airport with Flor (Emily F's host mom) so the two moms and the two of us Americans drove home together. Unfortunately the main road back to my house was closed so there was a lot of traffic. Two hours later, we got to my new house (a ride that was only supposed to be 40 min). I got a tour of the house, unpacked, and learned some of the house norms (how to use shower, where to find glasses for water, etc.) Then, my first dinner and my first cold shower in Costa Rica (which I know how to use correctly now, I think). Time for relaxing. Now off to bed. I can't remember the last time I went to bed at 8:30.

First Costa Rican food: cashews sold from a man walking up and down the street
First Costa Rican meal: peach refresco (koo-laid like juice) and spaghetti noodles with ham, corn, parmesan cheese
Accomplishments of the day: 1) Getting through the day. I thought it would be really hard. It was awkward and nerve-wracking at times, but it wasn't that bad; 2) Killing a Daddy-Long-Legs on my bedroom wall. I can do this.

Palabras nuevas:
cashews - semillas de marañón
to try - intentar
sink knobs/tubes - tubos
peaches - duraznos
sheets - sábanas
mass (church) - misa

No comments:

Post a Comment