Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lilith, UCR, Trato Hecho

Today was the first day I had to walk to school alone. I was a little nervous about crossing the streets and all the people I'd see, but I knew the route and I was just fine. I did not cause an accident or get into one so so far I'm 1 for 1! Today was the first real day of class. We were assigned groups for our grammar and conversation classes. For grammar, I am with Adam, Mateo, Carly, and Emily F and my professor is Mario. For conversation, I have class with Adam and Mateo and my professor Mynor. I really enjoy class. Although I know some of the information already, it is a good review and since the classes are so small I am able to ask questions and receive detailed answers to them. The teachers are great! In conversation class with Maynor I learned that Adam (from the Bible) had a girlfriend (Lilith) before Eve but since she was identical to Adam she was exchanged with Eve...I should probably look that up. I've never heard of that before. I also learned a little bit more about the geography of Costa Rica.

After the morning classes, all of the students and the three grammar/conversation professors went into San Pedro (the suburb/town/neighborhood of San Jose that ACM is located in). We also visited the UCR (University of Costa Rica) because we are able to use the facilities there. I even have a UCR ID. I recognized some of the places we went since I live close to the UCR and walk by it on my way to school. Things I learned (and remember) about UCR: 1) They have their own police and outside police are not allowed to enter the campus, 2) Nobody lives on campus. There are only residences close to campus. However, most students live at home and commute every day, which is sometimes an hour bus ride.

We had lunch at a restaurant near campus and then went to a store to buy notebooks and locks for our ACM lockers.

In the afternoon I had my first Biodiversity and Conservation class with Carly, Jessy, and both Emilys. It's just a coincidence that all the girls are taking this class and the boys are taking the film class. Chris is our professor. Today was an introduction to the class, talking about what we wanted to learn, looking over the syllabus, etc. After class we had some time to relax/do homework before we met with Judy to discuss the ACM library and other academic resources we have.

After class, I went to the mall of San Pedro with some other students to buy a newspaper for one of our homework assignments. I walked home. Finished my homework. Took a nap. Dinner. Combate. I saw only two of the games today. In the first, each contestant was spun around 35 times by the other team and once they were done spinning they had 5 seconds to run 15 ft and kick a soccer ball into a net. Hardly anyone could stand for more than 2 seconds. Marta and I got a few laughs out of that. In the second game, the contestants had to balance a ping pong ball on their backs as they slid over padded cylinders (I'm not really sure how to describe them...something you'd see on Wipeout) without touching the water below or letting the ball fall off. Which ever team got the most people across in 6 minutes won. Marta and I also watched Trato Hecho which is the Spanish version of Deal or No Deal. I found it amusing that the contestant looked like Sarah Palin but I was really annoyed about how dramatic and drawn-out the show is. No different than US game shows.

That about sums up the day.

Breakfast: Fried egg, toast with jam, coffee with milk and sugar, strawberries
Lunch: Rice, black beans, cheese empanada, cooked plantains, fruit juice (not sure what kind)
Dinner: Gallo pinto (rice and beans together), some sort of meat inside a fried shell (almost like a chimichanga but smaller), picadillo de choyote (chopped vegetable pear) (See below), lettuce and tomato salad with mayo dressing, cheesecake with peaches on top, peach refresco



Palabras Nuevas
picadillo - chopped style
hembra - female animal
trato - deal
queque - cake
jungla - jungle (or selva)
bichos - critters
apostar - to bet
carnet - ID
boliche - bowling
pretil - parapet/hand rail
pretiliando - socializing

4 comments:

  1. I'm eager to see if I can find some of the things you have been eating in our grocery store. And I can't wait until you come home to cook some of your favorite things for us. Sounds like lots of fresh fruit - what a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I can actually make this stuff, but maybe in a few months...

      Delete
  2. Hi Meghan! Thanks so much for blogging so we can go along for the ride. :-) Also love your vocab words and eats! Enjoy your time there! Julie
    P.S. Is there a way to sign up to automatically get an email when you post a blog entry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have done a blog so I am not sure if I can set up automatic emails. So far, I have been trying to write every day. I am not sure I will be able to keep that up, but if you look every few days there will probably be a new post.

      Delete