Thursday, August 23, 2012

Laughs, Critters, Umbrellas

Highlights of the day

  • Watching Please don't laugh at my English (Japanese game show) in my conversation class and not being able to stop laughing
  • Discussing bizarre/unfortunate names of some people Maynor has met
  • Talking about safety and gender in Into to Costa Rica class
  • Eating lunch at cafe near UCR
  • Watching everybody play games on their new cell phones in between classes
  • Being told by Chris to take 15 minutes to mediate outside before Biodiversity/Conservation class
  • Learning about studies that some previous ACM students have done about biodiversity and species in Costa Rica
  • Buying an ice cream cone after class and eating it on UCR campus
  • Finding a small lizard running across the walls of my bedroom. As I turn on the light to see better, I notice a cockroach on my curtains. Marta used Raid to try to kill it but it scurried away so she swatted at it and killed it with her shoe. By that time I couldn't find the lizard. After dinner, I saw the lizard again. Marta used Raid and a few minutes later we found it lying on the window sill. It looked dead. When she went to pick it up it scampered away. The way Marta squealed makes me think she dislikes small creatures/insects as much as I do. We looked all over my room but we couldn't find it. I still don't know where it is and I am very skeptical but my sister Valeria said that they only like walking on the walls so I shouldn't be worried about it getting in my bed...Like I said, I'm skeptical but there isn't much I can do.
  • Combate. Mostly the same games as earlier this week.
  • The brand of notebook that I bought for class is "Skipper" (my high school mascot)
2 other things I learned/realized today:
1) The difference between a sombrilla and paraguas (2 types of umbrellas): Sombrillas are usually for women and they are colorful; paraguas are black and men usually carry them
2) There is an art to carrying umbrellas on the sidewalks where EVERYBODY else has one too. I am not sure I have perfected it but I'm getting better

Breakfast: Same as yesterday except I had peanut butter on my toast (one of Marta's previous students left it with her earlier this year)
Lunch: Chicken empanada, black beans, platanos maduros (cooked plantains), juice
Dinner: Chicken breast, rice, pinto beans, salad, peach refresco

Palabras Nuevas
aspiradora - vacuum
antojo - craving

No comments:

Post a Comment