Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Two Week Notice

I have less than 2 weeks until I leave for Costa Rica. I have a lot of things to do before I leave . . . most of them being activities I want to do or food I want to eat for the last time before I go. At this point, I have bought almost everything I need for the 4-month adventure.

There are a few things that I have done in the past week that have helped me get ready and in the future, I think I will be glad to have done them:

1. I talked with somebody I know from Lawrence University that went on the trip last year. She was able to give me tips about what to expect in Costa Rica and about the packing list. (Thanks Sarah!)
2. Since I am the only student from Lawrence going on this trip, I decided to meet up with a girl who will be going on the program with me. She attends St. Olaf college but she lives near me in Minnesota. Carly and I were able to talk about things we were going to bring, our feelings at this point, and really just get to know each other. It is a relief to know that I will know somebody when I get to Costa Rica.
3. I decided to get a plane ticket next to Carly. I figure I won't have to sit nervously on the plane for several hours alone. We will be able to chat and discuss our hopes and fears about what the next few months will bring.
4. I am reading Harry Potter in Spanish so that I can keep up with the language during the summer. Although there are some words I don't know, I am pleasantly surprised how much I am able to understand. And I have learned a lot of new words too. If I ever need to know how to say "wand" in a sentence, I can do it now: varita.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment