Thursday, August 30, 2012

Salsa y Merengue

The past few days have been pretty similar to other days (breakfast, walking to class, lunch, walking back from class, homework, dinner, Combate). A few extra things: we found a soccer ball in ACM that we played with one day. Two days ago it did not rain...a first. Yesterday I had an assignment to talk to my family about the education system here. Some of the things are similar, but some are very different than in the US. Also, yesterday the class went to the national museum as a part of our Introduction to Costa Rica class. They had a lot of artifacts there: pottery, gold, furniture, etc. and also a butterfly room! I forgot my camera so I don't have photos of any of the things at the museum.

Today we had our first dance class. In one hour we learned the Salsa and the Merengue. Our teacher, Roy, is a professional dancer who happens to be one of the mentors of dancers on Bailando por un Sueño which is the Latin American version of Dancing with the Stars. He was a great teacher and dancing with him was much easier than dancing with any other partner. Obviously he knew what he was doing. I still need a lot of practice but I look forward to our next dance class.






As we were leaving ACM for the day it was pouring. Since I have been here, I have not gotten my feet so wet as I did today. The rain wasn't coming down too hard but the puddles on the sidewalks and in the streets was incredible. My shoes were spewing water and sloshing the whole way home.

Breakfast: Egg, pineapple, toast with cream cheese and jelly, coffee
Lunch: Mini pizza, banana, mixed fruit refresco, banana bread
Dinner: Rice, beans, Ham/cheese/spinach bake, peach refresco

Palabras Nuevas:
beca - scholarship
maicero - hillbilly
zorra - fox
tornillo - screw
esfera - sphere
paño - towel (in CR)
reflejo - reflection

Nicknames:
Toño - Antonio
Chepe - Jose
Pancho - Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment